Cummins Stehn Past Commissions

2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of two 15th century "Jesse Tree" window headers originally in The Lady Chapel in Winchester Cathedral, England. The restoration included re-establishing the original branch, leaf, flower and fruit design, and matching and painting medieval glass. Size 700mm high x 620mm wide.
2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of V. Spreadbury, England, c 1930, "St Catrina" window 1100mm high x 350mm wide. The restoration involved dismantling the border, painting and staining new border pieces to replace previous poorly matched unpainted pieces, and edge gluing cracked border pieces and reassembly.
2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of "Christ As King" window, perhaps by Walter Tower, England, c1921, 1100mm high x 350mm wide. The aedicule may be 15th century: it is certainly medieval, and Tower (?) took pains to preserve these pieces, and constructed his part of the window around them. Their origin and significance is not known. The restoration included painting replacements for missing pieces to match in the aedicule and edge gluing cracked pieces.
2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of 17th century Armorial window with Crest of Edward I from Holy Trinity Church, Ettington, England, 1400mm high x 350mm wide. The restoration included painting a new rose to replace a shattered piece and edge gluing many broken pieces.
2015 St Andrew's Anglican Church, Cloncurry, Qld.
Releading of stained glass "St Luke" window 1.5 metres high x 900 mm wide.
2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of "The Winged Lion of St Mark" and "The Winged Ox of St Luke" windows each 315mm wide x 540mm high. Flemish, early 16th century, possibly from Herkenrode Abbey in England. The restoration included removal of many previous poor replacements and replacing them with new painted and silver stained pieces using 1936 photographs as reference. The restoration also included significant edge gluing of previously fractured original and new pieces.
2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of five of a set of nine "Fragments" panels, all comprising medieval and Renaissance glass. Broken pieces were edge-glued, and many missing pieces were re-cut, painted and stained. Each panel is approximately 220mm wide x 340mm high.
2015 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of two Porch 14th and 15th century "Fragments" windows each 480mm wide x 630 mm high, including removal of machine rolled glasses inserted by a Brisbane studio in the 1980s, and replacing them with pained and silver stained replicas.
2015

St Mary's Catholic Church, Warwick, Qld.
Restoration of vandalised porch transom. Approximately 1030mm wide x 475mm high, and restoration of previously poorly restored hopper panel.

2015 Mother of Good Counsel Catholic Church, Innisfail, Qld.
Restoration of over 140 square metres of windows in the church as a result of Cyclone "Larry".
2014 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Removal of two windows each containing three headers, each 600mm wide x 450mm high. Five of the six headers were 1492 headers from Winchester Cathedral in England. After extensive consultation with the custodians at The Abbey, and the assistance of Dr Geoff Down, and using photographs of the headers taken in Winchester in 1898 the headers were removed from their "Fragments" backgrounds, new pieces painted and silver stained after extrapolating what the original 1492 full size cartoons looked like, and reinstating the headers as they would have looked in Winchester in 1898, and possibly for centuries before that. This was a deeply satisfying, and often exhilarating, project.
2014 Restoration of two R.S. Exton (Brisbane) stained glass door panels each 290 mm wide x 1120mm high. The original degraded bird roundel panels were removed and were replaced with painted, stained and enamelled replicas and refitted into the door inside the elaborate leadlight surround. The original degraded roundels were reconstructed into frames each 500mm wide x 300mm high. We regard this door as amongst the best quality R.S. Exton domestic work we have seen.
2013

All Saints Anglican Church, Ainslie, ACT.
Restoration of remaining three panels of 1917 Walter Tower Studio Chancel window 4.5 metres wide x 3.4 metres high.

2013 St Michael's Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of painted and stained "Sancta Maria" window, V. Spreadbury, England, 1930-31. The restoration included painting of missing borders to match existing. Single light window 900mm high x 450mm wide.
2013

St Michael’s Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of “Triradial with leaves, two shields on a trellis field of oak branches with leaves and acorns, with a border of fragments” single lancet window, English, 15th century.  1000mm high x 300mm wide.

2013

St Michael’s Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of “St Michael the Archangel” window, Edward Frampton (England) circa 1920.  Single lancet with trefoil head 2000mm high x 620mm wide.

2012

Abbey Museum, St Michael's Church, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of "St Clare" Frederick C. Eden c. 1930 stained glass window. 890 mm high x 355 mm wide.

2012

St Michael’s Church, The Abbey, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of "St Andrew" and "Angel" English 19th century stained glass window. 595 mm high x 285 mm wide.

2012 Abbey Museum, St Michael's Church, Caboolture. Qld.
Restoration of "Censing Angel 1" Clayton and Bell 1880s stained glass, and Arms of St Michael's School (20th century) window. 915 mm high x 395 mm wide.
2012

Abbey Museum, St Michael's Church, Caboolture. Qld.
Restoration of "Censing Angel 2" Clayton and Bell 1880s stained glass window. 915 mm high x 395 mm wide.

2012

Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture. Qld.
Restoration of stained glass window with two English 15th century coats of arms and an heraldic lion.  900 mm high x 345 mm wide.

2012 St Monica’s Chapel, St Augustine’s College, Springfield, Qld.
Restoration of circular stained glass window (1.2 metres in diameter) and leadlight casement window (1.8 metres high x 600 mm wide).
2012 St Mary's Catholic Church, South Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of 33.5 square metres of leadlight windows, refurbishment of wooden frames, and installation of protective glazing and sound proofing.
2012 Scots Kirk Presbyterian Church, Hamilton, NSW.
Restoration of two Radecki/Ashwin panels 500 mm high x 880 mm wide
2011 St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of five vandalised diamond panels, each 340 mm high x 450 wide.
2011

St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral, Brisbane, Qld.
Repair and restoration of four 1885 French "Louis Gille" hopper panels, each 700 mm high x 420 mm wide.

2011

St Patrick's Catholic Church, Fortitude Valley, Qld.
Restoration of fifteen vandalised 1890s diamond panels with painted and silver stained borders. Approximately 4.6 square metres.

2011

Holy Spirit Chapel, Banyo, Qld.
Two Harry Clarke Studio stained glass windows – Sts Peter and Paul, each 1.5 metres high x 700 mm wide.

2010 All Souls St Bartholomew / Quetta Memorial Church, Thursday Island.
Restoration of the “Endeavour”, “St Bartholomew”, “St Michael and All Angels”, “The Nativity” and “The Annunciation” stained glass windows. Approximately 5 square metres in total.
2010 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of “Mater Salvatoris” Scottish 1890s stained glass window
1 metre high x 300mm wide.
2010 St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Forrest, ACT.
Restoration of five 1934 Ashwin Studio fully painted and stained chancel windows viz “Last Supper” triple light, “Suffer the Little Children”, “Touch Me Not”, and two foliate windows. Approximately 11 square metres in total.
2010 Former Baptist Church, Ipswich, Qld.
Restoration of 23 leadlight 1920s windows in Heritage listed building including repair of wooden window frames and opening mechanisms.
2010 Restoration of 1850s stained glass window by unknown Belgian studio for a private residence. The dimensions of the window are 570mm wide x 1.9 metres high.
2010 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of an English lancet window with yellow shield and border fragments from the 13th to 15th century. A new eagle was painted on a clear glass plate to reinstate an eagle that was no longer discernible.
2010 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of a 19th century English head of St Peter and 16th century Lincoln’s Inn crest.
2009 - 2010 All Saints Anglican Church, Ainslie, ACT.
Restoration of two panels of 1917 Walter Tower Studio Chancel window 4.5 metres wide x 3.4 metres high.
2009 - 2010 St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Forrest, ACT.
Restoration of the fully painted and stained transept “Redemption” window executed by the Norman Carter Sydney studio in 1950. The restoration comprises four lancets each 650mm wide and 2.8 metres high and 8 lancets each 300mm x 640mm
.
2009 - 2010 St Patrick’s Catholic Church, Boorowa, NSW.
Restoration of 1880s Lyon and Cottier studio chancel “Crucifixion” window comprising three lancets each 820mm wide and 4.5 metres high. Also the nave “Sacred Heart” window comprising two lights each 600mm wide and 2.7 metres high.
2009

St Columba’s Catholic Church, Wilston, Qld.
Restoration of an R.S.Exton stained glass window comprising two lights each 830mm x 2.6m and one circular light 800mm in diameter, 24 clerestory leadlight windows 350mm x 1.55m each and five Nave leadlight windows each 415mm x 1.44m.

2009 St Mary’s Catholic Church, Ipswich, Qld.
Restoration of 32 panels each approximately 450mm x 650 mm. Installation of glass protectors for all the stained glass windows in the church.
2009 St Stephen’s Catholic Cathedral, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of the fully painted and stained Mayne / “Ascension” chancel window executed by the famous Irish stained glass artist Harry Clarke in 1923. This is the only window by Harry Clarke in Australia and consists of one central light 780mm x 8m high, two flanking lights 780mm x 6m high, and three quatrefoils.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2009/04/22/2549848.htm
2009 St Stephen’s Catholic Cathedral, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of two R.S.Exton hopper windows from the transept. Each hopper is 600mm x 800mm and were vandalized. As part of the restoration previous badly matched replacement pieces were discarded and replaced with properly painted and stained pieces.
2009 “Temple of Peace”, Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane, Qld.
Repair and restore six leadlight windows for Heritage listed site. 900mm high x 600mm wide.
2009 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
German 16th Century window featuring Saint Dominic and Saint Catherine of Siena. Restoration includes edge gluing of original glass and painting and staining modern glass to match original 16th century techniques.
2009 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
A lancet with the Head of Christ by John Hardman & Co. 1860s and an English Armorial shield from the 15th Century. New pieces are being painted and intrusive modern glass is being replaced.
2008 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of two panels from one window.
One is an exquisitely painted “Coronation of the Virgin” dated 1526, and the other an “Espousal” panel dated 1725.
2008 Abbey Museum, St Michael’s Church, Caboolture, Qld.
Restoration of 16th century Flemish “God the Father” window, possibly from the Charterhouse of St Barbara, Cologne, which was pillaged by Napoleon’s troops on their way to Moscow. Restoration includes edge gluing of original glass and painting and staining modern glass to match original 16th century techniques.
2008

“Christchurch, Paddington”, Buderim, Qld.
Restoration of stained glass and leadlight from the WW2 bomb ravaged Christchurch, Paddington, UK. The window is approximately 600mm wide x 1 metre high and installed in a private residence in Buderim.

2008 Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Thursday Island. Restoration of “Madonna and Child” round window approximately 1150 in diameter.
2008

Presbyterian Church of St Andrew, Canberra, ACT.
Restoration of the fully painted and stained transept “Warriors” window executed by the Norman Carter Sydney studio in 1948. Each of the four lancets is 650mm wide and 3.4 metres high.

2008

St Andrew’s Seventh Day Adventist Church, Bundaberg, Qld.
Repair of stone damaged “Shepherd Boy”. R.S. Exton Studio/William Bustard window – 900mm x 350mm.

2008

St Patrick’s Catholic Church, Gympie, Qld.
Restoration of eight Chancel Edwardian leadlight windows each approximately 585mm high x 430mm wide.

2008 “Bishopsbourne”, Hamilton Hill, Qld. Restoration of fully painted and stained door surround possibly attributed to William Wailes in the 1860s. The five panels making up the surround total about 2 square metres.
2008

St Brigid’s Catholic Church, Longreach, Qld.
Restoration of ten Harry Clarke Studio (Ireland) stained glass panels, each approximately 0.45 square metres.

2008 Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Mackay, Qld.
Restoration of the next six 1950s Brooks Robinson (Melbourne) stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ. Each window is 2 metres high x 900mm wide.
2007 Government House, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of the famous fully painted and stained “Bruce” stairwell window. Overall dimensions 3 metres high x 1.5 metres wide.
2007 St Agatha’s Catholic Church, Clayfield, Qld.
Restoration of twelve Harry Clarke Studio (Ireland) stained glass panels, each approximately 1 square metre.
2007 St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Gympie, Qld.
Restoration of four Edwardian leadlight windows each approximately 1.6 metres high x 750 wide, and extensive on-site works.
2007 Church at St. Sebastian’s Catholic School, Yeronga, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of eight leadlight diamond windows each approximately1.2 metres high x 700mm wide.
2007 Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Mackay, Qld.
Restoration of six 1950s Brooks Robinson (Melbourne) stained glass windows depicting the Life of Christ. Each window is 2 metres high x 900mm wide.
2006 Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Goondiwindi, Qld.
Repair of vandalised Cummins & Stehn stained glass transom window.
700mm high x 1 metre wide
2006 St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Hobart,Tas.
Restoration of the two John Hardman (UK) Studio “Life of St Joseph” stained glass windows. Each window is 3.2 metres high x 1 metre wide.
2005 St. Ignatius’ Catholic Church, Toowong, Qld.
Restoration of the F.X. Zettler (Munich) “Sacred Heart” and “St Michael” stained glass windows, including repainting of ruined faces, hands and feet to match originals. Each window 3 metres high x 550mm wide.
2004 &
2005
All Saints’ Anglican Church, Clermont, Qld.
Repair and Restoration of windows damaged by hail on one whole wall of the church (three fully painted and stained windows and eleven leadlight windows) including repainting of shattered pieces.
2004 &
2005
Sacred Heart Cathedral, Townsville, Qld.
Full restoration of eighty-five (over half) of the leadlight windows and on-site cleaning of the three stained glass chancel windows.
2004 &
2005
St. Mary’s Cathedral, Hobart, Tas.
Restoration of the significant 1868 John Hardman Studio (UK) chancel window. The restoration took six months and included total dismantling, full cleaning, releading and reinstallation of the window to near original condition. There were also public access tours of the restoration studio.
16 square metres.
2004 Repair and restore 1880s Ashwin fully painted and stained glass window formerly in the original AMP Building, Brisbane, Qld.
2.2 metres high x 1.2 metres wide.
2004 St. Ignatius’ Catholic Church, Toowong, Qld.
Restoration of R.S. Exton/William Bustard stained glass “Magnificat” window. 1.7 metres high x 500mm wide.
2003 St. John’s Anglican Church, Burleigh Heads, Qld.
Restoration of William Bustard stained glass “Jesus” sanctuary window.
2.4 metres high x 900mm wide.
2003 “Temple of Peace”, Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane, Qld.
Repair and restore three leadlight windows for Heritage listed site.
900mm high x 600mm wide.
2003 St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Barcaldine, Qld.
Restoration of 1913 William Montgomery “Suffer the Little Children” window (1.6 metres high x 1.2 metres wide) in temporary studio in Barcaldine as a Heritage project. On-site conservation grade cleaning of six Ashwin chancel and nave windows.
2002 & 2003 St. Andrew’s Uniting Church, Cnr. Ann and Creek Streets, Brisbane, Qld.
Heritage listed building.
Brooks Robinson 1922 fully painted and stained and plated “west” windows.
“Crucifixion” – Central panel 7 metres high x 720 mm wide, and two flanking panels each 5.7 metres high x 660 mm wide.
“Nativity” – Central panel 4.2 metres high x 720 mm wide, and two flanking panels each 2.8 metres high x 660 mm wide.
Overall area 19 square metres.
2003 Moreton Bay College, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of twelve exquisitely painted and stained portraits, each 600mm high x 450mm wide. Currently mounted in Moreton Bay College library.
2002 Palace Backpackers Memorial Hostel, Childers, Qld.
Heritage listed building. Restore five panels of front door surround stained glass after fire damage. Overall area 2.5 square metres.
May - August 2002 Churchill Fellowship Stained Glass Restoration trip. Gerry was awarded the Fellowship. We toured to USA, UK, France and Germany studying advanced stained glass restoration painting techniques and general conservation and restoration techniques, as well as placing our own and general Australian stained glass principles, processes and practice in the international context.
2002 St. Brigid’s Catholic Church, Dickson, Canberra, ACT.
Repair broken areas and resize “St. Patrick” and “Mary Help of Christians” stained glass windows for new site.
2002 Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Sunnybank, Qld.
Restoration of a panel of Bill Gleeson “Our Lady” window,
865mm wide x 2 metres high.
On-site stabilization of other panels of “Our Lady” and “Good Shepherd” windows.
2001 St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Ipswich, Qld.
Heritage listed building.
Restoration of vandalised R.S. Exton/William Bustard “John the Baptist” and “Suffer the Little Children” windows.
2000 St. Margaret’s Anglican Church, Sandgate, Qld.
Restoration and reinstallation of “Daniel” and “Mine Eyes Have Seen Thy Salvation” windows. Each 950mm high x 350mm wide.
1999 Christ Church, Bundaberg, Qld.
Removal, restoration and reinstallation of peak panel (720mm x 600mm) of one of five sanctuary windows. Intention: to establish quality of original craftsmanship, timing of restoration and accurate costing for all five sanctuary windows.
1999 Somerville House Girls’ School, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of “Beatrice” and “Portia” windows (each 2.5 metres x 660mm) and Fanlight above door (1 metre x 1.75 metres), in “Cumbooquepa”.
1999 War Memorial Library. Brisbane Grammar School, Qld.
Restoration and repair of hail damage to stained glass windows.
1998 Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Cootamundra, NSW.
Restoration of “St. Brigid” and “St. Patrick” windows.
Each 2.7 metres x 660mm.
1998 St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Boorowa, NSW.
Restoration of “St. Joseph and St. Matthew”, “St. Angeli and St. Ignatius” and “St. John the Baptist and St. Monica” windows, each 3 metres x 600mm.
1997 & 1998 Somerville House Girls’ School, Brisbane, Qld.
Restoration of six historical chapel stained glass windows,
Each 1670mm x 450mm; Five Chapel bay windows, each 1500 x 400mm; and repainting and restoration of base of “Beatrice” window, Cumbooquepa.
1997 City of Knox, Melbourne, Vic.
Restoration of historical roundel. 350mm diameter.
1997 Christ Church, Bundaberg. Qld.
Restoration of “Good Shepherd” window, 1500mm x 600mm.
1995 Christ Church, Bundaberg, Qld.
Restoration of “Peter” and “Paul” windows, each 1500mm x 450mm.
1993 St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Childers, Qld.
Restoration of nine leadlight windows, each 1500mm x 420mm.
1993 Palace Hotel, Childers. Restoration of damaged painted and stained Edwardian side panel.
1992 St. Matthew’s Anglican Church, Howard, Qld
Restoration of leadlight windows.
1992 Christ Church, Childers, Qld.
Restoration of “Crucifixion” Altar Triptych windows.
Overall dimensions 2.25 metres x 3 metres.
1990 St. John’s Anglican Church, Wagga Wagga, NSW.
Restoration of windows.
1985 All Saints Anglican Church, Tumut, NSW.
Restoration of Victorian Altar Triptych windows.
1983 Hilton Hotel, Melbourne. Vic.
Restoration of Cliveden Mansion Stained Glass Windows.

1982

St. John’s Anglican Church, Wagga Wagga, NSW.
Restoration of three Victorian Altar Triptych windows.
Overall dimensions 2.4 metres x 10 metres.

return to top